- This event has passed.
10 November 2012 - 16 November 2012
PRACE – The European HPC Infrastructure at SC12
PRACE was present at SC12 (booth #1243) to exhibit the 6 Tier-0 systems to which scientists and researchers can gain access through the PRACE peer review process. PRACE Prototypes were discussed in a BoF session and this year’s edition of the PRACE Treasure Hunt gave everyone a chance to win a brand-new Samsung Galaxy Tab!
PRACE dedicated staff was present to answer all questions about PRACE, the PRACE Projects, the Tier-0 systems and the peer review process.
The PRACE Projects informed visitors about their prototypes through a Birds of a Feather (BoF) session on Wednesday 14th November from 5:30PM to 7:00PM (location: 250-AB). See the PRACE BoF flyer here.
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center, a member of PRACE, presented its new ARM-based prototype at the PRACE BoF session.
- Best use of HPC in life sciences
- The Jülich Supercomputing Center (FZJ/JSC) for using NVIDIA Tesla GPUs to uncover causes of / treatments for autism, Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases.
- Best use of HPC in financial services
- The Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC) on NVIDIA Fermi GPUs using CUDA.
- Best application of “green computing” in HPC
- HPCwire Editors awarded the IBM Blue Gene/Q architecture as best application of “green computing” in HPC. The JUQUEEN system hosted by Jülich Supercomputing Center features the IBM Blue Gene/Q architecture. This system is one of the Leadership Computing Systems in PRACE.
- Best use of HPC in “edge HPC” application
- Grand Equipement National de Calcul Intensif (GENCI), with the CURIE Leadership Computing System (powered by bullx), for the first full universe simulation done by the Observatoire de Paris.
- Best HPC server product or technology
- The High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS) provides to PRACE (via Gauss Centre for Supercomputing) a Leadership Computing system code-named HERMIT that features the award-winning Cray XE6 technology.