- This event has passed.
16 June 2019 - 20 June 2019
PRACE – The European HPC Infrastructure at ISC 2019
PRACE was present with a booth at Europe’s largest HPC forum ISC High Performance 2019 in Frankfurt, Germany from 17 June to 19 June 2019. The PRACE booth team welcomed more than 220 ISC visitors and had interesting talks about PRACE. A wide range of mini presentations completed the booth activities.
In the Opening Session of ISC 2019, Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Lippert, the Chair of the PRACE Council welcomed the attendees. In his talk he summarised the achievements of PRACE to date, and outlining how PRACE is “In Service for HPC in Europe”
For the 3rd time PRACE featured the EXDCI project at its booth and this year EXDCI project partner ETP4HPC was direct booth neighbour. Furthermore PRACE was involved in workshops, the STEM Student Day / Gala, and the ISC Travel Grant.
PRACE booth activities
On Monday 17 June 2019 evening, Serge Bogaerts, Managing Director of PRACE, opened the PRACE booth. He gave a brief overview of PRACE and highlighted the mini-presentations at the booth. The schedule of seven mini presentations presented different HPC topics and projects such as PRACE Training possibilities, the DEEP project, the POP CoE , and the EXCELLERAT project. These presentations gave interesting insights into the involvement of PRACE Members in various HPC projects to boost and to strengthen the European HPC ecosystem. The PRACE booth team informed the visitors about PRACE activities and for further information PRACE publications such as PRACE Annual Report 2018 were handed out.
The following presentations were given at the booth:
- Center of Excellence – Engineering (EXCELLERAT), Bastian Koller, Head of Applications & Visualization Universität Stuttgart
- PRACE Training, Volker Weinberg, LRZ Simon Wong, ICHEC
- Introducing the Task-Aware MPI (TAMPI) library for hybrid programming, Vicenç Beltran Querol, BSC
- Energy oriented entre of Excellence for computing (EoCoE) activities, Radoslaw Januszewski, PSCN
- DEEP Projects Towards flexible exascale computing, Norbert Eiker, Member of DEEP-EST Project management team, FZJ
- Anywhere, any time, self-managed, easy to use supercomputing at your fingertips, Nicolas Tonello, ConstelCom ETP4HPC
- POP CoE: We are the “Performance” in HPC, Bernd Mohr, Forschungszentrum Jülich
STEM Student Day / Gala; ISC Travel Grant Program
For 3rd time PRACE was one of the sponsors of the STEM Student Day / Gala which is a good complement to PRACE Outreach to Universities. On Wednesday afternoon two STEM Student groups stopped by the PRACE booth for an overview of PRACE Training possibilities in general and specifically for students. In the evening the Gala provided the occasion to mingle and re-connect with the students.
Marjolein Oorsprong, PRACE Communications Officer, was member of the ISC Travel Grant Program Selection Committee, which enabled two young researchers to attend ISC. The selected candidates for 2019 were:
- Molly N.Kgobathe, MSc in Computer Information Systems, University of Botswana
- Aurelio Vivas, MSc in Com/li>puter Engineering, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
Abdulrahman Azab, task leader of WP 6.2.3 in PRACE 6IP, organised the 5th Annual High Performance Container Workshop (HPCW) together with Docker Inc. and NERSC. Linux Containers continue to gain momentum within data centers all over the world. The workshop brought together world-class experts for discussing the outstanding challenges and technology choices for supporting containers on HPC systems. It has been a success with 43 presentations, 8 panel discussions, and +100 attendees. Accepted workshop papers will be published as part of the ISC 2019 conference proceedings.