Free support for European businesses to adopt high-performance computing
SHAPE offers European SMEs the opportunity to:
- Use HPC for business innovation
- Increase competitiveness
- Benefit from the expertise and knowledge developed within the top-class PRACE Research Infrastructure.
Small and medium enterprises are the backbone of the European economy, and many could use high performance computing (HPC) to enhance their business. However, it can be challenging for SMEs to adopt HPC. They may have little in-house expertise, limited access to hardware, or be unable to commit resources to a potentially risky endeavour.
This is where PRACE’s free SHAPE programme comes in, by making it easier for SMEs to try out their ideas for utilising HPC to enhance their business, for example to improve product quality, reduce time to delivery, or create innovative new services.
Successful applicants to the SHAPE programme receive assistance from a PRACE HPC expert and access to major computing facilities. This assistance is provided free, but the SME is expected to:
- Contribute comparable effort (to PRACE staff) to the project to work with the PRACE partner
- Assist in the promotion of the project (eg via the SME’s online channels, industry publications etc)
- Produce an end-of-project technical paper on the project outcomes./li>
In the months following completion of the project, follow-up reports are also requested from the SME to help evaluate the business impact.
How to apply
Calls to the SHAPE programme run every six months. SMEs apply via an online form (guidance is available from PRACE at this stage if required). Applications are reviewed by a PRACE-appointed committee.
For more details on SHAPE calls please visit the SHAPE Access page.