More attendees, more parallel sessions at PRACEdays17 – all this was successfully embedded as the central event during the 2nd European HPC Summit Week from 16 May to 18 May 2017 in Barcelona, Spain. The fascinating conference included keynotes about European and international HPC strategy, scientific achievements, and industrial applications of HPC. The Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) provided as local host an enjoyable environment and an excellent organisation.
PRACEdays17 was for the second time part of the European HPC Summit Week which offered a large number of interesting workshops from different actors in the HPC eco-system. The entire EHPCSW 2017 welcomed more than 350 attendees and 270 of them participated in PRACEdays17: a significant growth rate in attendance.
PRACEdays17 closed with the traditional Award Session. The following 5 award were handed out:
- For the first time the PRACE Best Student Poster Award was presented. Martin Vögele (Max Planck Institute of Biophysics) received the prize for his poster entitled “ Finite size effects on the dynamics in simulations of lipid membranes“.
- The PRACE Best Poster Award was awarded to Felipe Nathan Oliveira (Barcelona Supercomputing Center) for his poster entitled “Nonlinear electromagnetic stabilization of ITG microturbulence by ICRF-driven fast ions in ASDEX Upgrade“.
- Fabien Pierrat (Acobiom) received the PRACE Award for Best Industrial Presentation for his talk on “The MaRS (Matrix of RNA-Seq) Project”.
- Alberto Giacomello (Sapienza University of Rome) took home the PRACE Award for Best Scientific Presentation. His talk was entitled “Robust bioinspired surfaces for underwater operation”.
- The PRACE Ada Lovelace Award for HPC was officially presented to Frauke Gräter (HITS). Read more about her work here.